Thursday, October 20, 2022

Late Shri. Sadanand Dattatraya Shingne - The Passing away of a Legacy of Compassion!

Late Shri. Sadanand Dattatraya Shingne - The Passing away of a Legacy of Compassion!

Babasaheb passed away, after a brief illness, on 12th October 2022 at the age of 75 years.

 

It is with a heavy heart and emotions that cannot be controlled, that I take this opportunity to dedicate this post to one of the few people in my life who have made a lasting impression on my character and career.

I was grief stricken when I got the news of the passing away of Shri. Sadanand Dattatraya Shingne - fondly knows as "Baba" or "Babasaheb" to all others in the Industry. To me and to all those who have known him Baba Personally, he was a very kind, spiritually inclined & family-oriented person with an ever-helping nature.

He was a thorough engineer with an eye for detail in whatever he did. He was a pioneer in “lead acid battery machinery” manufacturing, in the sense that, in the very early years, when everyone chose to import battery machines, he had the foresight to take up the stiffest challenges and lead as one of the finest Lead Acid Battery Machinery manufactures of those times. 

I am referring to the time that I joined Shingania Services as it was called in those days later incorporated as Shingania Batteries Pvt. Limited. I had joined them in the early 90's and the very first memories of those times still linger till date in my mind and heart. That is the very reason for my creating this post.

There will be so much to write about Babasaheb as an Industrialist, profoundly thoughtful Engineer, Caring yet extremely disciplined Director and Founder and Pioneer of the Lead Acid Battery Machinery Industry. But I dedicate this post purely to share to the world two incidents in my life which leave me indebted to him for ever, and always leave me overwhelmed with emotion. Not even many of my closest friends or family even know about this as I had always held these two incidents very close to my heart!

The first incident I will never forget is the day of my Interview at their office in Mohan Nagar, Chinchwad. As I entered his cabin, a bit nervous as well as apprehensive, I felt a sudden overpowering aura of a human being who was spiritually inclined and compassionate. Even through his strong presence as a commanding and demanding Director as I was told him to be, I sensed a very soft and blessed side of him the moment I slowly settled into the seat opposite him. 

He was always soft spoken, to the point, and knew exactly what he wanted, and above all he could see through your face and feelings like no other person I have met till date. The interview went well, and I was selected and asked to join immediately. While concluding the interview, Babasaheb as he was always known to be like that, shifted gears into a very personal realm. He was always known to treat business / work / home / and family in their own compartments. Never mixing one with the other, yet giving all due respect to each one of them individually. There was never a sense of compromise between any of the above.

From the stern Director / Founder to a totally Fatherly figure, he immediately put me at ease and asked me why I was so nervous and shaking during the interview. He inquired all about me, my family, and who and my home front in Pune. I told him that I was from Mumbai and staying alone with my wife and Mother. I told him that my mother, my uncles and other family members were my caretakers, and mentors all through my life as my father had separated from my mother when I was a very small child leaving me with no personal memory of my father. I myself was a bit emotional at that time as my mother used to be sick due to Diabetes and Chronic Asthmatic conditions and I was worried about her. He patiently wanted to listen to my whole story, and even asked one of the staff who wanted to talk to him to wait for a while, until I finished my narration of my life's story.

At the end of the interview and the short personal session that followed, I noticed his eyes had moistened, as were mine, and he slowly got up, came up to me and gave me a long warm fatherly hug. I was all the more emotionally overwhelmed as ever since my childhood I had yearned for that fatherly hug and it was maybe over two decades since I had got one apart from those from my uncles and aunt's. He smiled and me through those moist eyes, and said "Be strong, and if you need anything, anytime just come to me", and waved back and left the cabin, while asking me to report to duty the next morning.

I fall short of words, even today to express those feeling during that short interview session that I had and never have I had such an experience in my life till date. 

Today the 19th of October 2022, one of my friends from the same company who are together in a WhatsApp Group messaged me with this Obituary message that had come up in the Newspapers, and it sent a rush of emotions once again on seeing that same divine face and reminding me that he is no more! 

Memories rushed back to the 2nd of March 1991, the day my mother passed away. My mother Late. Mrs. Nirmala G. Kate had passed away at a fairly young age of 61 due to prolonged illness. I was at that time staying at Bhosari - Sandvik Colony area, with my wife and mother in a huge bungalow of my friend which he had asked me take care of. I had barely no other close relatives staying in Pune at that time apart from a distant, uncle, a Doctor himself, who fortunately stayed in the same colony. Apart from them I had no other close contacts from my family side here in Pune. I had my In-laws though staying close by.

I will cut the whole days events short and start from the moment I noticed that my mother was sinking suddenly and called for my uncle who stayed just a lane apart from my house. He immediately called for some of his other Doctor friends , and ambulance and noticing that my mother was sinking fast; asked for me to call my relatives from Mumbai and elsewhere, as he did not expect her to make it further for long. 

I was totally shattered and having had no other experience apart from the passing away of my Grandfather when I was only about 12 years old, I lay shattered and motionless at home. My in-laws were informed and were on their way, and so were my family from Mumbai. I immediately let my Company and Babasaheb know about it as I had already informed them I would not be able to attend duty that morning when I found the condition of my mother very serious. Babasaheb consoled me and asked me to stay calm and he would be there personally. That itself gave me a lot of strength.

What happened that day I will never forget in my life. Within a few minutes a whole group of the staff members from Shingania Services was at my home, consoling me and seeing me totally almost lifeless, took over all the house arrangements personally. I was staring blankly into space and only looking at my mother totally oblivious of what I should do or should have done. As my relatives from Mumbai were to arrive we had to wait for some time, to perform the Cremation Ceremony but could not wait too long for medical reasons. 

I felt a warmth and sudden strength coming to me when I was shocked to see Babasaheb himself, and almost the whole staff from my loving company who had gathered and were taking care of each and every needs along with my In-laws and other neighbors. Since my uncle had arranged for the Death Certificate from the MD, all other arrangements from getting the Municipal certificate for Cremation to all arrangements for the Cremation at the Bhosari Municipal Cremation grounds.

I was in a total trance during that period and the only thing I knew and felt was I was being helped by all the wonderful staff and Babasaheb all the way from home to the Cremation and back. It was only at the cremation ground when Babasaheb himself put a hand around my shoulder and lead me to perform the last rites that I could gather some senses and broke down inconsolably in his arms. This was my family for me who stood by me like a rock along with my in-laws and other family who later arrived from Mumbai over the next week or more, tending to me like a child. I will remain ever indebted to each one of them.

There is so much I could write about them and Babasaheb especially who stood behind me like a father. On the 12th when I got the news until today when I read the Obituary I was and am still shaken, weak and literally lifeless at the thought that I have lost one more divine soul from my "Family" who were more than anything to me in my life. I am shattered and torn but stand strong as I recollect those word said by Babasaheb during my interview when he had said "Be strong, and if you need anything, anytime just come to me"! Today myself at my age of 63 soon to be 64; I may try to be strong but I do not have the shoulders of the person to lean on who gave me his shoulders when I needed them the most!

All I can say now can be expressed by this tablet below! Babasaheb I will miss you a lot but you will always remain in my heart; until we meet again!

I have nothing more to say, nor do I have the strength to face the truth, but I have to accept it. Rest in Peace Babasaheb, Om Shanti!


No comments:

Post a Comment